National Beef® verifies that cattle are humanely raised and handled according to the following criteria:
- Any egregious act of cruelty to cattle is unacceptable.
- Cattle supplier has a documented non-ambulatory cattle procedure.
- Cull and/or chronically sick cattle are fully ambulatory prior to transporting.
- Non-ambulatory and/or disabled cattle are euthanized by acceptable methods prior to being moved.
National Beef evaluates that cattle are humanely raised and handled according to the program’s requirements by the following method:
- Each feedlot intended for the program is audited on-site prior to approval.
- There can be no failures in any of the listed criteria in order to maintain approval.
- Any failure observed in any of the listed criteria results in the suspension of all affected live cattle supplier(s) from the program and any other action deemed necessary by National Beef.