Two-Bite Mini Burgers
- Main Ingredient: Black Canyon® Angus Ground Beef
- Servings: 8
- 1 1 pound Black Canyon® Angus Ground Beef
- 9 9 whole wheat small slider buns, split, divided
- 1/4 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 1 egg white
- 2 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Mango-Pineapple Salsa, Spicy Caramelized Onions or Creamy Yogurt-Feta Sauce (recipes follow)
- Tear one slider bun into pieces. Place in food processor or blender container. Cover; pulse on and off, to form fine crumbs.
- Combine Ground Beef, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, onion, egg white, garlic, salt and pepper in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into eight 1/2-inch thick mini patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 9 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 9 to 10 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. About 1-1/2 minutes before burgers are done, place rolls, cut sides down, on grid. Grill until lightly toasted.
- Serve Burgers in buns with Topping Variation(s), as desired. Close sandwiches.
Mango-Pineapple Salsa: Combine 1/2 cup finely diced ripe mango or 1/2 cup finely diced drained jarred ripe mango, 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple or 1/3 cup drained canned crushed pineapple, 1/4 cup finely chopped tomato, 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeño pepper, 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use. Makes 1 cup
Spicy Caramelized Onions: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 3 cups thinly sliced yellow onions and 2 to 3 medium thinly sliced red or green jalapeño peppers or 6 thinly sliced baby sweet red bell peppers. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium- low; stir in 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Cook 15 to 18 minutes or until onions are very tender and golden brown, stirring frequently. Season with salt, as desired. Makes 1-1/2 cups
Creamy Yogurt-Feta Sauce: Combine 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, 2 tablespoons minced onion and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano) in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Refrigerate until ready to use. Makes about 3/4 cup
To broil burgers, preheat broiler. Place burgers on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat element. Broil 9 to 10 minutes to medium (160°F) doneness, turning the burgers once. Place buns, cut sides up, on broiler pan so surface is 2 to 3 inches from heat element. Broil 45 to 60 seconds or until lightly toasted.
Nutrition information per serving, using 96% lean ground beef with spicy caramelized onions: 240 Calories; 7 g Total Fat (2 g Saturated Fat; 3 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 32 mg Cholesterol; 376 mg Sodium; 30 g Total Carbohydrate; 4.6 g Dietary Fiber; 16 g Protein; 2.6 mg Iron; 6.8 mg Niacin; 0.4 mg Vitamin B6; 1.1 mcg Vitamin B12; 3.8 mg Zinc; 34.3 mcg Selenium; 52.6 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, and Selenium; and a good source of Iron, and Choline.